Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Anyone here get Lasik?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Navanod

Since 20 Feb 2007
207 Posts
Beaverton
Stoked

PostWed Mar 11, 09 10:38 pm    OT: Anyone here get Lasik? Reply with quote

If you have... How was it? I'm going in the 19th for the surgery. I'm blind as a bat and the contacts aren't cutting it for kiteboarding or any sport for that matter.

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 11, 09 10:51 pm     Reply with quote

Really happy with mine. did it about jan 2008. I needed coke bottles for glasses. my contacts were -7.50 and -8.00. Ive lost plenty of them in the columbia

I was back in the water after about 2 months.

my night vision is a little worse. I had halos for about a year. my eyes have never really felt dry although i used the tears a lot. I think I still have dry eyes though I dont notice unless im on an airplane for too long.

my eyesight is close to 20/20 but not quite. such a joy. waay better than contacts. I dont really mind that I'm not 20/20 because i dont need glasses or contacts for anything.

I hate sunglasses so i dont wear them on the water. I did wear sunglasses for a couple months when in the water, but that didnt last long. No ill effects that i have noticed. I'm considering changing that practice though but only because of sun. Ive been splashed in the face/eye plenty of times and not had problems.

I dont want to harm my retinas or have premature cataracts because of sun exposure.

Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostThu Mar 12, 09 6:26 am     Reply with quote

I had mine 10 years ago- couldn't even read the alarm clock I was so blind. 10 years later I'm still 20/20, no problems. Changed watersports forever- love it!

Make sure the doctor prescreening you is REALLY GOOD, preferably not even associated with the clinic. My buddy wasn't as lucky as me. He was susceptible to a particular eye disorder that was activated by the surgery. His vision went downhill afterwards. A better doctor could have foreseen this.

Enjoy!

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Mar 12, 09 7:47 am    lasik Reply with quote

I got lasik about 3 years ago and it was amazing. My vision wasn't too bad to begin with but it sucked not being able to see far off kiting, and especially surfing.

If you do decide to do it I recommend Clearly Lasik in Vancouver. Their doctors are really good and have performed thousands of surgeries, plus the nurses and receptionists are all 10's, no kidding.

I paid for mine with a no interest payment of 40 dollars a month for about 2 years or so. I also got the most expensive surgery with a plan that covers me until I am 40 if my sight starts to go bad again. I went back after 6 months and a year and a half and was still better than 20/20, same as after the surgery.

I would say do it, you can't put a price on clear vision. Especially when it is affordable to anyone with a checking account, and interest free. I would do it for even the smallest correction. DO IT!

Navanod

Since 20 Feb 2007
207 Posts
Beaverton
Stoked

PostThu Mar 12, 09 8:16 am     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I'm scheduled for the 19th (a week from today) to do the surgery. I'm going through Teplick Custom Vision. A few coworkers recommended them. They told me that since I was last in they do the process different. The procedure is better than 3 years ago (when I last looked into it). They use a laser now to do the incision vs. a blade.

I have had the pre-op exam... man that took a long time! Tons of test... but It's no big deal... as I want it done right, they are after all my eyes!

Everyone says it's a life changing event.

Blue

Since 03 Jul 2007
469 Posts
I used to be
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 12, 09 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Make sure you realize the procedure is not without risk. Complication rates might be small, but they do occur. Be certain you can live with the consequences.

FrostyOne

Since 31 Jan 2007
167 Posts
PDX
Stoked

PostThu Mar 12, 09 9:01 am    DO it.... Reply with quote

Had it done in 2000, Awesome. Cool
Life rolls on.....#Member#700NWKITE.COM

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Mar 12, 09 9:53 am     Reply with quote

untwed wrote:

I hate sunglasses so i dont wear them on the water. I did wear sunglasses for a couple months when in the water, but that didnt last long. No ill effects that i have noticed. I'm considering changing that practice though but only because of sun. Ive been splashed in the face/eye plenty of times and not had problems.

I dont want to harm my retinas or have premature cataracts because of sun exposure.

Have you tried Sea-specs - been pretty happy - water spots don't really bug me - just give em a dunk and you are good

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Knot Kracker

Since 02 Jul 2008
130 Posts
Clackamas River
Stoked

PostThu Mar 12, 09 10:48 am    Lasik Reply with quote

I had Dr. Teplick do Lasik in 2000 over previous radial keratotomy incisions. He did a great job, and was able to see 20/20 for five years until a MX crash. He also did two relatives with success. If it wasn't for the thin retinas I may not have had retinal detachments and numerous surgeries with IOLs. Hindsight for me is that I should have suffered with the contacts/glasses, BECAUSE, now it is even more difficult for IOLs to be correctly fitted with all the incisions (scar tissue).

Just as a side note, I have never met a Ophthalmologist that doesn't wear eyeglasses (RK and Lasik never performed on their own eyes)!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Mar 12, 09 10:51 am     Reply with quote

be carefull if your into high altitude sports as I read that the lower pressure will cause you to go blind temporarily at higher elevations after that surgery.

eli_anderson

Since 04 Jun 2007
507 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 12, 09 11:17 am     Reply with quote

a gentleman I spoke with regarding the subject mentioned extreme altitude changes are bad. even flying might be out of the question.

scary

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 12, 09 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

I like my IOL. But I'm in my 50's and the Dr explained that I am less than a decade away from IOL due to age anyway. I'm glad I chose IOL over Lasik. Also, I decided on monocular vision with one eye far, one near. Sounds crazy but I really like it. Read close up, look across the bay... no glasses.

K4L

Since 19 Jan 2009
483 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 12, 09 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

My sister and I both had Lasik done by Teplik about ten years ago, no adverse side effects and at that time it included lifetime upgrade if necesary.

I dont know about the flying / altitude thing. Never heard of that before but I certainly havent had any issues with it

Blokt

Since 17 Nov 2008
196 Posts
Hamlin rocks, doody-root-tuders!
Stoked

PostFri Mar 13, 09 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

I've used prescription SeaSpecs for 2 years and I love em'.

Yo Eli, I wore those badboys today while riding my modded board you sold me last year. What a blast. Can't wait to fly with you at the coast. Still haven't done it yet. Crying or Very sad

Thanks again,
Cool

jackZ

Since 13 Apr 2008
355 Posts
Devon Alberta ca.
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 14, 09 6:18 am    lasik Reply with quote

I had an appointment with them in Edmonton AB and after the checkup I did not get it done . They said my eyes were not bad enough . They informed me of halos which would most likely bother me as my vision isn't that bad and I would really notice them . They put the lenses in front of me indicating what people with bad eyes ( the ones that they can help and wouldn't care about some halos because now they can see ) have to live with and my god I just about puked as I got dizzy from the blur and such. I was very thankful for their help and honesty .
I'm 51 and my regular optometrist tells me that by the time I'm ready to retire there are things happening in the field that will allow me to see better than I could when I was younger .
Until then Sea Specs are the answer and I dont have them with a scrip just regular.
I so far need glasses to read stuff and for close up .
Like was said earlier get a good check-up from a regular optometrist before doing anything with your eyes ! It's hard to go back !

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Mar 14, 09 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I had Lasik done about 4 years ago and went from 20/100 to 20/15. The eye surgeon intentionally left one eye undercorrected to 20/30 so I can still read without reading glasses (bifocals), but my dominate eye still carries my long distance vision to 20/15 for both eyes combined. Go with the extra dollars and get a good surgeon with lots of experience that will ensure safe results and be able to calibrate your vision to exactly what you want.

Navanod

Since 20 Feb 2007
207 Posts
Beaverton
Stoked

PostSat Mar 14, 09 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone for your comments. I have done my research and I'm going to proceed knowing the possible risks.

My vision has been bad since the 5th grade. It has been an obstacle for the majority of my life. I absolutely can not function without contacts or glasses.

I've had several test and my eyes are very healthy (minus my actual vision obviously). I'm confident in the doctor I have selected (Teplick).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: